Special Education Records May Help Your Disability Application

Upon filing an application for disability benefits, you or your attorney will need to submit the evidence that documents your disability.  Most common evidence includes medical records and opinions from your treating physicians, therapists and other medical providers.  It will usually include laboratory results and other medical tests including x-rays, magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) and CT Scans.  It may include statements from family, friends, daycare providers or other caregivers.  Often overlooked are special education records, individualized education program (IEP), individualized family service plan (IFSP) and other educational records.

Special education and IEP records can be critical in disability claims involving attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD), autism and other learning disabilities.  The types and amount of services provided document the evaluations performed and limitations that will be addressed.